THE BUSHLORE EXPERIENCE
You have seen it on National Geographic, now experience it...
South Africa and the Southern African region is the ideal destination for the wildlife
enthusiast, adventure seeker or holidaymaker. Few places in the world can offer
such a diverse array of ecosystems and habitats and the plentiful wildlife which
live within them. The many natural wonders of Southern Africa offer the opportunity
to experience the holiday or adventure of a lifetime at affordable prices.
Our primary business is a fleet of 4x4 (4wd) vehicles, campers, cars and recreational
vehicles available for hire for self drive purposes. The self-drive safari is a
very economical, interesting and exciting way toexplore the many attractions Southern Africa has to offer.
Many of Southern Africa's best game reserves, coastal areas and other attractions are only accessible by gravel roads and 4x4 (4wd) tracks. This is one of the reasons why a 4x4 vehicle is the ideal mode of transport and the most capable Safari vehicle. These all terrain 4x4 vehicles are all available for hire as fully equipped and self contained campers. The extensive equipment provided like fridge - freezers, kitchen equipment and water tanks to mention a few, allows one to live out of the vehicles comfortably for extended periods. All the vehicles are carefully prepared and maintained by in-house workshops and a thorough introduction to the vehicle and equipment accompanies each hire. Travel consultants are available to assist with route guidance and bookings.
At Bushlore we would enjoy and welcome the opportunity for you to share in our knowledge
and experience of this beautiful region and finest wildlife destinations. We offer
tailor made self-drive and guided safaris to cater to your particular interests
Our services also include:
- Route planning, itineraries, bookings and travel guidance
- Airport transfers
- Complete introduction to the vehicle and equipment
- Basic 4x4 driver training where necessary
- AA fleetcare plus 24 hour roadside assistance and medical assistance
- Self drive safaris
- Guided tours and safaris
- Online shopping service prior to arrival
- Comprehensive insurance cover
- Free/unlimited kilometer option
10 reasons to go with 4x4 self drive as your safari / travel choice
- Flexibility - in most cases prior booking is not essential as you always have the option to camp on the vehicle. You can almost always find a place to camp
- Affordable - the 4x4 camper becomes your accommodation and transport and offers excellent value. General prices in Southern Africa are also low in comparison with many countries in the world
- Unlimited travel - access to all areas, some of the best campsites are only accessable by 4x4
- Better game viewing - increased ride height improves visability for game spotting and photography
- Complete experience - you see more when driving the roads and get a better feel for the countries.
- Explore - 4x4 self drive is a must for the more adventurous
- Sounds of the bush - while in the safety of your roof tent, the canvas does not block out all the sounds. It's really out in the wild
- Close encounters - there is something special about sharing a campsite with a pride of Lions in one of the many unfenced campsites in the African parks
- Comfort - not only the built in mattresses and good vehicles, you have the comfort of knowing the Bushlore team is only a call away and has years of experience to assist with your situation.
- A complete getaway - 'rest your mind revive your soul' Leave the rat race behind and venture into the peace and tranquility of nature.
Is it safe to self drive in Southern Africa?
Over 8000 people have travelled in our Bushlore 4x4 vehicles over the last 11 years and no one has been subjected to any type of violent crime or similar dangerous situation. No animal attacks leading to any injury. There is no doubt that with the usual precautions taken that self drive in Southern Africa is a safe way to travel.
The following will reduce the chances of problems;
- We ensure a very well prepared and maintained vehicle
- Drive safely - build in more safety margin and keep below speed limits, 4x4 camp vehicles are different to driving standard cars.
- Satelite phone may be recommended when travelling to very remote areas and in one vehicle only. Mobile networks are far better in Africa but there are many parks where you will not get network signal.
- Respect wildlife and keep your distance, do not walk around at night and be generally aware and cautious in game parks especially when out of the vehicle. Never approach animals on foot and obey park regulations.
- Take precautions in cities or where there are people, be aware that in some areas there are crime elements. Generally keep to designated campsites
Are the National parks and Game reserves open to self drive?
Almost every National park and game reserve in Southern Africa is open to self drive visitors and offer the necessary facilities for self drive travellers. Many privately owned reserves are also accessable by self drive but some do not offer camping facilities and often require advance bookings.
Planning your self drive safari?
There is alot of information available on self drive in Southern Africa through internet and other medium but we are more than willing to assist where customers use our vehicles. The following is detail is what we would require;
Amount of time available?
Any particular interests and intentions?
Countries you would like to travel?
Camping or level of accommodation required (eg. 3 days camp , 1 mid range lodge)
We have a number of itineraries available.
Ten most popular self drive routes or itineraries
- Best of Botswana - very wild, exceptional game, real 4x4 country.
JHB - Kalahari - pans - Okavango delta - Savuti - Chobe river - tuli - jhb
- Parks of South Africa - top parks with excellent game, lower kilometers
JHB - Pilansberg - Waterberg - Mapumgubwe - Kruger - panaromic route - JHB
- Namibia offroad - incredible scenery, good wildlife, excellent value
WDH - Waterberg - Etosha - Damaraland - Kaokoland - Twyfelfontein - Swakopmund - WDH
- Namibia Botswana overland - combination of best of Botswana and Namibia 4x4 Via Caprivi strip
- Predators of the Kalahari - explore the kagalagadi transfrontier park
JHB - Mabuasehube - matopi - nossob - augrabies - JHB. Also possible from Cape Town
- Kruger - Mozambique - excellent bush and beach safari with good game areas and beautiful coastline. JHB - Panaromic route - Kruger park - Limpopo transfrontier park - Inhambane - chinenguele - bilene - Maputo - JHB
- Best of Zambia - wild parks, excellent self drive area, good game. Livingstone - Kafue south - kafue no
rth - Lusaka - south Luangwa - zambesi - Livingstone
- Bush and Beach South Africa - JHB - Kruger - Swaziland - Northern Natal - st lucia - Hluluwe - JHB
- Garden route safari - CT - Oudtshoorn - uniondale - Baviaanskloof - Addo Elephant - Tsitsikamma - Storms river - Plettenburg bay - Knysna - wilderness - CT
- Zimbabwe ivory safari - JHB - Louis Trichardt - Matopo - Hwange - Chizarira - Matusadona - Kariba - Mana pools - JHB/FLY OUT Harare